Thursday, September 25, 2008

What do I want? System.Exit!

When do I want it? NOW!

Note to UI builders: When building a confirmation dialog for a user, please don't make them wait to answer the question. I can't think of a time when it's ever really necessary to meditate before making a modal dialog decision.

The most common example of this is Firefox's plugin installer that requires you to wait a few seconds before being allowed to install a chosen plugin. At least you can turn this off in the configuration. A really annoying example I just came across is some new VPN software I'm required to use for one of our clients. Whenever you want to shut down the client, it pops up this dialog:





It starts from 5, counting down to zero before you can click Yes. Every time I see it, it feels like I'm stuck in a room with someone who's re-telling a bad joke for the 5th time. (I'm sure my friends know what I mean :)

So please, a concise confirmation dialog is quite enough.
Don't you think?




Don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home